Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Hiatus

It seems that people often like to choose different - sometimes 'fancy' words when they are going to be absent from their normal lives for a period of time... They use words like SABBATICAL or HIATUS... I remember in college often hearing that a professor would not be teaching this semester because they were on "SABBATICAL" - most of the time doing research for something or other... I believe that word comes from the Jewish "Sabbath", though - but that's a different blog in and of itself... I however like the other word, though... HIATUS... Go ahead and say it with me, "HIATUS"... It's one of those tasty words that just 'rolls off the tongue'... Hiatus by definition means, "a break or interruption in the continuity of a work, series, action, etc." (Dictionary.com)

Well that's what I feel like I have been on for the month of September... My last post was on September 1 - and that has mainly to do with my son... It was nothing he 'meant' to do, but the little guy has certainly taken his mother and me on a 'roller coaster'... And not one of the fun one's where you get off and immediately say, "Let's go again!" No, no, no... It is one where you are in the middle of the ride screaming like a little girl, "GET ME OFF THIS THING!!!" He got sick... At first we didn't think anything was wrong with him - then 'here we go'... 18 days straight... 2 different hospitals... 3 different rooms... And a partridge in a pear tree... We saw countless doctors and nurses - some were fantastic, others could spend a little more time in the books then watching 'House' or 'ER'... 

My wife and I were determined to not leave our son in this dark time - so we spent every night in different circumstances so we could be with him... Some were spent in a single hospital bed - together!!! Some were spent on a hard, but roomy couch-thing... Other nights found us on floors, chairs, and in lobbies... We had a few times of comfortable showers, but not many... Fortunately for us, though - the cafeteria food was good... So that softened the constant blows... 

But - happy to say - we are home... I am at my computer 'semi' regularly - and hopefully will be able to join the ranks of 'Blogging', yet again... And I actually have some pretty good material for the next several installments... God sure teaches you a lot in the cruddy times of life... Good thing He's always there...

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." (Deuteronomy 31:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment