Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Concerts

One of the things that truly gets many people into the 'spirit' of the season is undoubtedly the Christmas music... Various arrangements of traditional favorite tunes puts boys and girls, young and old in a 'holly, jolly' mood... Whether it be driving in your car, strolling through the shopping mall, or home decorating your tree - singing about a "Silent Night" or the song about the angel, "Hark" puts you in a joyful frame of mind...

There is one venue that I can always count on to bring Christmas cheer to my heart - and that is annual high school Christmas Concerts... Our local high school had its program today and I decided to go... I have several students that were involved in the band, choir, and orchestra... They all did a wonderful job... The strings were sweet - the voices angelic - and the flutes - were... Uh, well... 'Flutes'... Ha - just kidding (band humor)... Some tunes I remember from my teaching days, while others were a nice surprise...

While I enjoyed the music and seeing the smiling faces from the audience - there was something I enjoyed even more... I truly was glad to hear that they still called it a "Christmas Concert"... It wasn't a "Winter Concert" or "Holiday Concert"... A "Christmas Concert"... Yeah - "Christ" is in that word... Without Him - we'd be celebrating 'mas'... That doesn't sound very exciting... Without Christ - there is no reason to celebrate... But with all the work on Capital Hill to remove Christ from everything - it's neat to see that some institutions are still willing to call things what they are... Way to go, guys... I'm proud of you... Now - Let's go on a 'Sleigh Ride', shall we... "Just hear those sleigh bells jingling"...

2 comments:

  1. I just happened to see your blog today on facebook and then went back to the beginning and was scrolling through. I stopped on Christmas Concerts because they are a never-ending part of my life. And I saw your comment about flutes.

    Was it you or Mr. Townsend that brought the guy to band to clinician us that had the flutes all tune at once, then cut them off and said, "You're sharp, you're flat, go home," while pointing at random people? Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kasey! Sorry I just saw this (a month later!) but that was Townsend, I would assume. Yes - band people can be pretty witty at times! Hope all is well with you and your family!

      Delete