Monday, April 25, 2011

Artistic Expression

Being a pastor - Easter is always a busy time of year... Well worth it, of course, as non-believers are often 'extra curious' those 2 or 3 days a year about Jesus, God, the church, or salvation... We can't miss the opportunity to share with them the love that God has for them - the love that He showed by the death of His Son, Jesus of Nazareth... And in this culture - sometimes you have to get creative to bring the message home...

My closest friend (also our Creative Arts pastor) had some really good ideas for that this year... With the potential of over 3,000 people coming through the doors of our church building for Easter services - we had to make sure our message was precise, full of truth, and creative enough to hold a 'first-timers' attention... So to accomplish that task - our team added a large metal cross illuminated with LED lights suspended over the congregation... My friend also sang a Garth Brooks song with video clips from the "Passion of the Christ" showing in the background to connect the message of Jesus' love with those that weren't familiar with 'church music'...

One of his oddest suggestions, though, was that we start the service of with me singing a song - not so strange - but to be painted while doing it... Okay - now it's a little strange! But you know what - it was powerful! I don't know about for the congregation and those that witnessed the song... But for me it was very moving... Singing about the change that God has made in me - knowing who I used to be (and still have a tendency TO BE) about brought me to tears every time... As I was being covered in all the colors of the rainbow - I was becoming a new creation - just like Paul said I would...

"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old is gone, and the new has come." 2 Corinthians 5:17

I know many do not agree with 'creative thinking' when it comes to sharing the good news of Jesus Christ... They feel it is wrong and inappropriate to use such creative means of expression - And maybe they're right... But when Judgement Day comes (and it will) I don't want to reach the Bema Seat and find out that I didn't do all I could to reach lost people and inspire those struggling in their faith - just so I could please 'church goers'... Does that even make sense?!

No comments:

Post a Comment