Monday, April 4, 2011

Who do you root for?

I have spent the entire NCAA basketball tournament on the edge of my seat... I have seen some amazing upsets that nobody expected and 'no-namers' become stars... I've seen the underdog overcome overwhelming odds and coaches pull rabbit after rabbit out of their hats... The Final Four didn't fail to excite and now the anticipation of the grande finale - The Championship Game!

But here's where my problem lies... I don't know who to root for!

Every other game I have been cheering for a team to win so my bracket would give me a bit of self worth and impress others 'less knowledgable' than me... Unfortunately - that didn't happen for me this year (or any year, that matter!)... Actually - I was beaten by my wife this year in total points on our brackets... Talk about humiliating!!! But if I were going to lose to someone - I'd rather it be her... But the two teams I wanted to win in the Final Four did and now they both have the privilege of playing in the 'big game' against each other... Both are exciting stories and starring a cast of unlikely heros... One team has a legendary coach with years of experience and one is one of the most prominent up-and-coming coaches in the game... What's a basketball fan to do?

I guess I will just have to enjoy the game... If I do that - I can be excited for both sides... I can be impressed by both coaches... I can be impressed by the elevated play of each individual on the court... I might not even have to yell at any referees this way! I can just be what I should be - a fan of the game...

Often times I like to see things go my way - even in my faith... Even though we are all part of the Body of Christ - I like to see my particular part look better or come out on top... I like to be the guy people are looking at and cheering for... And (if I were honest) I like to win! I want my ideas and my ways to work out the way I think they should... I want people to choose me over somebody or something else... I like to hear people say how great I am... I even find myself, at times, wishing for the blessings that others receive... Not very attractive, I know - let alone Christ like!

Jesus made it pretty clear, in Luke 9:48 when He said, "whoever is the LEAST among you is the GREATEST." I'm not on a separate team... I'm not involved in individual sport... I am not even the star player on the team! I'm just what I'm supposed to be - a role player on Team Jesus... He is the person I need to root for... His Will is what I need to be cheering for - no matter who He uses to accomplish it... I just need to be a 'fan of the game'... Not worrying about who wins, but rather lifting up those who are in the game! Go Team!

1 comment: