Thursday, June 19, 2014

And I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing

Summer is such a fun time for activities. And I am an 'activities' kinda guy. I love going to ball games, seeing movies, taking walks, playing Frisbee or anything outside. I even a enjoy a competitive night of boardgames and cards. There just isn't a whole lot more fun than enjoying some recreation with friends and family. But what if I miss out? What if I have to work?

Well today answered that question. Today was a normal work day for me, but a day off for my wife, Lucy, as she is only employed part time. Which is wonderful so she can spend time with our kids more while they are young. So being that it was in the low 90's today - they went and did a little swimming. Splashing, jumping, and laughing together. The smell of chlorine and Banana Boat filling their nostrils and pores. And I was in my office looking at a computer screen sitting on my blue exercise ball (yes, I actually use an exercise ball for my office chair). Sigh…

But don't feel too sorry for me. I have had (and hope to have plenty more) opportunities to make memories with my family. Actually - I am super excited that my wife gets these memories with our kids. You see - for the first 2 1/2 years of parenting Lucy still worked full time and only had off Saturday and Sunday (which for the wife of a pastor is every bit as stressful as any other day). Because my Sunday's were usually pretty long - I took off Monday and Fender and I would have what became known as "Dad Day…" We'd go on adventures just me and him. Lowe's, the park, the apple orchard, Sonic, the mall. I even took him over to Guitar Center a few times just me and him. We made so many memories those first 2 1/2 years.

Well when Journey came along - we decided that she would stay home with the kids full time for a while and then maybe just go back part time. Well that's what we've done and it's worked out great! She still gets stressed out from time to time, but she gets to make memories with both of her kids now on special days when ol' Dad can't come in and steal the thunder. But don't worry… I feel a storm coming soon… Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment