Friday, May 16, 2014

More Than Lip Service

"The LORD says: 'These people come near to Me with their mouth and honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. Their worship of Me is made up of only rules taught by men." - Isaiah 29:13 (NIV)

Growing up exposed to 'the church' and now serving in one full time - I've had my share of worship experiences. Some good - some not so good. Some that moved me to tears - some that moved me out the door. Some that were sincere and from the heart - some that were filled with superficial lip movements of 'watermelon'. (That's what I would mouth when I wanted people to think I was singing.) I have felt close to God because of them - and I have felt such disconnect like no other times at other experiences. Why am I telling you this?

Because I have often been 'inconsistent' in my 'worth ship' of Jesus Christ. I (far too often) haven't always worshiped in "Spirit and Truth" (John 4:23-24) as I have been instructed to. I like to just show up and look around the room, mouth some words, and leave the experience unchanged. I am not proud of that. In fact - I'm ashamed of it. I (as a child of the Most High) have been given the privilege of knowing my Creator on personal level - through the reading of The Bible, through relationships with other believers, and through corporate worship gatherings.

It shouldn't matter how I'm feeling or what my week is like. If I believe that God is who The Bible says He is - then it should be a no brainer that I seek His Spirit and His Presence every chance I can. Not just with 'lip service' but with an honest heart, and a loud voice. With uplifted hands and bended knee - leaving any 'rules taught by men' behind - and just spend time with Heavenly Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Psalm 27:4 ONE THING have I desired of the Lord. THAT will I seek, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord ALL the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord, & to inquire in His temple.

    ReplyDelete